WHERE AM I EATING? Section VI Curriculum
WHERE AM I EATING? AN ADVENTURE THROUGH THE GLOBAL FOOD ECONOMY CHAPTER DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
Part VI My Life: Product of USA
Chapter 17: Food as Faith
- What prompted the slow food movement?
- How has this movement impacted the way we view food in the U.S.?
- How are Amish farming practices similar to West African practices?
- Steve claims that eating organic has made him and his family faster. What are benefits of eating organic and local?
- Being part of the organic movement is seen as a change of lifestyle. How does something as small as not spraying your lawn for weeds help farmers and our environment?
Chapter 18: Farmers No More
- How has the American ideal of a perfect tomato changed tomato production?
- How have new technologies changes the lives of migrant workers?
- How did the corn and ethanol boom change American agriculture?
Chapter 19: Imagined Futures
- One in 88 children is autistic. Do you feel this has to do with our diets?
- What about our diets have impacted this statistic?
- What about our diets could change this statistic?
Chapter 20: Decisions about Man and Land
- Fair Trade is part of the solution. What are other ways you can make smart decisions about “man and land?”
- What have been the implications of the USDA’s country of origin on food in your local community?
- How accessible is organic food in your community?
- How accessible is Fair Trade, Fair Trade Certified, or Fair for Life in your community?
- Compare the country of origins food from EATING with the food in your house. What surprises you? Do you know where you are eating?
Part IV My Life: Product of USA
Write a 500 word free write on your reflections from Part V of WHERE AM I EATING? using the following statements as prompts.
- Slow food.
- Farmers’ Markets.
- Modified farming.
- Shop local; shop global.